Monday 2 July 2007

The Flying Scotsman

I haven't been to the cinema very often recently, mainly because I'm not interested in Spiderman, Fantastic 4 et al. I saw ghost rider earlier in the year. I don't need to see anymore bad comic films.

My reaction to seeing this weeks cinema listings was one of relief when I saw that there was a film that looked like it didn't involve explosions and car chases.

This is a biopic of Graeme Obree - a Scot who broke the one hour distance record with a home-made bike in the mid-nineties. He battled with depression and the Internation Cycling Union (who ruled his bike design illegal) during his racing career.

The film is beautifully shot (and partly set in Glasgow - which is always a good thing) and the performances are pretty good - I just felt that Obree's depression wasn't handled as well as it could have been.

All in all, it is a sports movie - and fits the blueprint for such a film perfectly. At least it wasn't about American Football!

I really liked it, and definately recommend it.

oh, and there WAS a car chase!

7/10

No comments: